Paris Central Mosque, France
The Muslim Institute of the Central Paris Mosque covers approximately one hectare of the Latin Quarter, in the centre of Paris. It is at the crossroads of multiple cultural and religious exchanges.
The Mosque is made up of several distinct sections. The minaret and the religious sanctuary are located in the centre.
One courtyard has a garden (the symbol of paradise for Muslims) surrounded by arcades.
At the centre of the religious buildings is a patio, the decoration of which was inspired by that of the Alhambra in Granada. Around this patio are the various sections of the Muslim Study Centre.
At the far end of the building can be found the Moorish coffee shop, the hammam and various shops selling Muslim products.
The prayer chamber is notable for its outstanding decoration and magnificent carpets.
In 1920, the French State, in collaboration with several Muslim countries, decided to build this mosque.
The work lasted from 1922 to 1926 and was directed by Messrs. Tranchant de Lunel, Heubès, Fournez and Mantout.
Using traditional Muslim art material imported from the Maghreb region of North Africa, the mosque was built in a Hispano-Mooresque architectural style.